Saturday, September 25, 2010

Time travel = REAL

Did I mention to you that I was at a boarding school from 8th to 10th grade? So at that boarding school I met this amazing Physics teacher who encouraged me to appreciate physics, he used to call me 'Archimedes' since I was the only kid in the class who was able to successfully understand Archimedes principle in eight grade.

Not only was he my physics teacher, but also our lunch head who used to seat at our lunch table to monitor our behavior and making sure that everything was going smoothly. I used to seat right next to him, and we used to talk a lot about physics. I used to ask him question and he used to shoot out answers as if he had engulfed the physics encyclopedia along with Google's algorithm to search answer for him instantly. Sometimes the question used to be about fighter jets, sometimes about oil floating on water.

Until I asked my teacher the ultimate question, I didn't knew why Einstein was so famous. All I knew was that Einstein was probably a really smart guy because his name was used a synonym for genius. Oh, one other thing I knew about Einstein was E=MC^2, though I didn't understand what the formula was trying to convey.

One fine afternoon at lunch, I asked my physics teacher about Einstein. I demanded to be read all the articles about Einstein from his 'encyclopedia.' To answer my question it took him almost rest of the year. Everyday he used to come up with new stories about Einstein. The most interesting thing that we talked about was Relativity. I was awestruck by the fact that if we traveled fast enough, in this case close to speed of light then we can time travel into the future.

That question about Einstein made me interested in Physics and thats the reason I am a Physics major. Though now I might be thinking of changing to Electrical Engineering, the inspiration from the Einstein question was enough to help appreciate physics, and get 5s on my AP exams

No comments:

Post a Comment